Pane e Latte’s “Ragù di Polpo” (Octopus Ragù)The octopus ragù recipe is such a classic. It’s one of those super simple recipes that people really relate to and is one of Pane e Latte’s menu staples.
- 60ml Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1kg SA octopus cut in 2cm pieces
- 2 julienne cut red onions
- 30ml Red wine
- 750ml Passata
- 3 x Bay leaf
- A.R. Salt
- A.R. Pepper
- Heat oil in a flame-proof casserole dish or stockpot over low heat.
- Add onions and season with salt (why do we salt onions to soften them up? Learn about Osmosis). Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add the octopus and cook it for 10/15 minutes.
- De-glaze with the red wine.
- When wine has evaporated, cover the octopus with water and let it cook for about 2 hours over low heat stirring occasionally.
- Add passata, bay leaf and cook for another 2 hours.
Thanks to our friends at Pane e Latte for sharing this fantastic recipe with us, and make sure you keep an eye out for their Adelaide Food Fringe event – paneelatte.com